Last week I mentioned that every year around Christmas my mom, sister and I bake up a huge batch of sugar cookies and spend a whole night decorating them. Well this passed weekend we did just that and today I’m sharing the recipe for the best sugar cookies ever!!
If you love soft baked chewy cookies you are going to love these, I promise.
Our Famous Sugar Cookie Recipe: (Makes one batch)
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon milk
- When you start making the dough – first combine all the dry ingredients in one bowl and all the wet ingredients in another (separate) bowl. After that is complete then mix both bowls of ingredients together.
- Then divide it up by batch (if your making more then one batch) and cover in saran wrap. Keep it in the fridge over night to cool – or approx 4 hours until dough has cooled
- Next, roll your dough out (not too thin) using flour on the counter.
- Once you’ve got the dough rolled out grab your festive cookie cutters and go to town!
- Bake at 350 for 10(ish) minutes. You want to ensure these don’t over cook. I usually wait 8 mins and then keep an eye on them for the last few minutes.
**Depending on the thickness of the dough they may take a little shorter or a little longer then 10 minutes.
Now for the best part….the decorating!
We like to make all different colours of icing just by adding food colouring to our icing recipe, which is just a bit of melted butter, milk, and icing sugar.
We don’t follow an exact recipe for this because we make so many different sizes of icing batches depending on the colour. Just keep adding icing sugar to your butter and milk mixture until you get to your desired consistency.
**You don’t want runny icing if your making designs on your cookies, so be generous with the icing sugar 🙂
I love making some of my sugar cookies into Belgium cookies by just adding some jam in the middle of two cookies and a little icing on the top! These taste amazingggg, you have to try them if you haven’t already!
If you try this recipe I would love to hear what you thought of it. Hope everyone has a wonderful rest of the week.